Updated December 15, 2020
Are you a freelancer working with a client abroad? If so, you must’ve paid through a PayPal account. This is how most freelancers are paid for.
To withdraw the money sent to your account, you need a bank code and SWIFT code.
Everything you need to know about bank code and/or SWIFT code is here. And if you want to check which bank code and/or SWIFT code you need, you can check the lists provided in this article.
What is a Bank Code?
The bank code is also called the Bank Routing Symbol Transit Number (BRSTN). It is a unique nine-digit code that serves as an identification for a specific bank. It identifies the name, city, and country.
Freelancers usually use bank codes. This is when they need to withdraw funds from their PayPal account to their local bank account.
Ways to Find the Bank Code Using your Paypal Account:
1. On the top menu, tap the “Wallet” link.
2. On the “Bank Accounts” link, tap the “Link a Bank Account.”
3. Then click the “Add” button
4. Next to the “Bank Code” link, click the “List of Bank Codes.”
Here are the BRSTN codes in the Philippines:
NOTE: If your bank is not on the list, that means Paypal doesn’t allow withdrawals from your bank.
What is SWIFT Code?
Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications (SWIFT)
This code is usually known as the Bank Identifier Code or BIC. It’s an international code used for identifying banks and routing financial transactions worldwide.
It’s like BRSTN. Composed of either eight (8) or eleven (11) characters that include numbers and letters. SWIFT‘s purpose is to be used for sending money to overseas banks.
These codes are also used to communicate. There is the system used in designating a bank’s code:
1. Bank Code: It is a four-letter code. It is either a bank’s name or initials.
Example: Bank of the Philippine Islands – BOPI
2. County Code: A two-letter code that specifies the bank’s country.
Example: Philippines – PH
3. Location Code: It is a two-letter or two-number code. It tells the location of the head office.
4. Branch Code: It is an optional three-digit code that specifies the branch of the bank.
Example: Cebu – CBU
NOTE: To get the right code, you can visit the SWIFT Website and search your bank.
Ways to search your BIC Online:
1. Enter the name of your bank next to “Institution Name.”
2. In the “Country” drop-down menu, choose “Philippines.”
3. Click the “Search” button.
Here are some of the institutions in the Philippines and their BIC:
NOTE: If your branch is not included in the list, you can use the main branch’s SWIFT or BIC Code. Do not worry because your transaction will still be valid.
Mostly, freelancers are working with clients abroad who are being paid through a PayPal account. Transacting with PayPal means you have to get a bank code and SWIFT code. Both are playing a significant role in banking transactions.
These codes serve as identification codes of local and international banks. Bank codes are used when you are going to withdraw from your PayPal account. In contrast, SWIFT codes are used for sending money to overseas banks.
If you’re unable to get your money and badly need it, you may opt to get quick cash loans from Cash Mart. It’s an alternative way to do to cut your stress in times of financial emergencies.