Every time you hear about the NBI Clearance, the first thing that you probably have in mind is the long queue that you have to go through.
Sometimes you have to wait for hours or worse, you have to wait for almost the whole day, just to submit your application.
Another worst-case scenario is that some people have to wait for a week before they could finally get their printed NBI Clearance. But the good news is that everything is a thing of the past.
Nowadays, through the help of technology, getting your NBI Clearance won’t be much of a burden. All you have to do is log in online either on the desktop or on phone and you can apply in a minute.
Here are some ultimate guides to your NBI Application.
What is NBI Clearance?
NBI Clearance or the National Bureau of Investigation Clearance is a document that proves that you are a citizen with good standing. It shows that you bever had a criminal record nor any court cases against you.
It is also a necessary document on your job application either local or overseas. Students, those who are applying for the civil service exam and those who are starting a business, also have to apply for the NBI Clearance.
NBI Clearance is valid for only one year from the date it was issued.
What are the Requirements for NBI Application?
For applicants who are first-timers, for renewal, or whose NBI clearance have corrections or error, you will need two valid government-issued IDs
Here are lists of acceptable valid IDs for your NBI application:
1. UMID (SSS and GSIS)
3. PhilHealth ID
4. Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration
5. BIR/TIN ID
6. PRC License
7. Driver’s License
8. PAG-IBIG ID (not your Loyalty Card)
9. NSO/PSA Authenticated Birth Certificate
10. Postal ID
11. Police Clearance
12. Certification from the Local Civil Registrar
13. Certification from Malacañang in connection with the indigenous groups, tribal membership, foundling
14. Solo Parent ID
15. Seaman’s Book
16. Senior Citizen ID
17. MARINA ID
18. Security License ID ( this is for security guards)
- The name of your two valid IDs will be asked when you apply online. In the first box, put your primary ID and in the second box, you can put your other valid ID.
- Student ID, Company ID, Barangay Clearance and other non-government issued IDs are not accepted.
- Ensure that your government-issued ID is not expired, original and in good condition. It should not be photocopied. The text should be readable and your photo should be recognizable.
- Those who are renewing their NBI Clearance (issued in 2014 onwards), should bring one (1) valid ID and a copy of their old clearance.
- Fresh graduates who are first-time job seekers can get their NBI Clearance for FREE. They have to provide at least one valid ID and a Barangay Certificate that will serve as your proof of residency for at least six months.
How to Make Online NBI Application?
Step 1: Online Account Registration
- Visit the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
- Tick the box with a “NO” next to the questions “Do you have an old NBI Clearance?”
- Fill out your NBI Clearance Online Account Registration Form.
Note: If your first name or surname is hyphenated, leave out the hyphen on your registration but inform the personnel to add the hyphen before they print out your NBI Clearance.
- Read the Terms of Service then tick the box next to “I accept the terms of service”.
- Tick the Sign-Up button, then read the information carefully before clicking “Yes” in the confirmation button.
- After your successful registration, you can log-in to your account. Enter your email address and your password.
- On the “Application Information” page, you can add more information. After reviewing your data, click the “Save Information” button.
Step 2: NBI Clearance Online Appointment
- Tick the “Apply for Clearance” button.
- Enter the valid ID that you would present on your application for verification. Don’t forget to bring two (2) valid IDs on your appointment day.
- Tick the “I Agree” button.
- After completing your NBI Clearance online registration, the “Online Appointment” page will appear.
- Choose your NBI Clearance Center. Select that one that is more comfortable for you.
Note: If you have already paid the fee but want to change your NBI Clearance Center, you need to call the original branch. Ask them to transfer your records to your chosen NBI clearance branch.
A calendar for your chosen branch will appear. The blue boxes indicate that the slot is available. The red boxes indicate a holiday, which means the NBI Branch is closed on that date.
You cannot reschedule your appointment once you have already paid your NBI clearance fee. But in case you cannot make it on your appointment and you have already paid the fee, the NBI will give you another 15 days to proceed with your application.
Step 3: NBI Clearance Fee Payment
Here are NBI Clearance payment methods:
- Bank over the Counter: You can pay your fee in cash in any bank such as BDO, BPI, PNB, Chinabank, Landbank, Metrobank, Security Bank, Union Bank, and in any partner bank.
- Online Bank: Pay your fee via the Online Banking Facility of the banking partners.
- Mobile Payment: Payment through GCASH
- Bayad Center: It is a cash payment at any Bayad Center and or its partners.
- MultiPay: You can pay your fee by using the money in your MultiWallet or by loading your account from MultiPay Payment Outlets.
- ECPay: Payment in cash in any ECPay partners like RD Pawnshop, Petron Corporation, Expresspay Inc., and many other outlets.
- 7-Eleven: You can pay in cash in any 7-Eleven’s CLiQQ kiosk
Here are the steps for your NBI Clearance Payment:
- Choose your preferred payment option.
- A pop-up window will appear. It will give you instructions on how to pay a fee based on your chosen payment method.
- Tick the “Proceed” button to go to the next step.
- A summary of your transaction will appear. Tick the “Proceed to Payment” button. It will direct you to an online banking portal or a pop-up box that shows your reference number.
- Take a screenshot of your reference number. You will use the reference number when you pay your fee and as your gate pass at the NBI Clearance Center.
- You can click on the “Transactions” to see the status of your application. It will show you your reference number and information if the process of your payment is successful or not.
- When you are done with your payments, you can check your email address for a confirmation message. You can also go to the Transactions page of the NBI Clearance website. Your transaction is successful if the status is changed from “Pending” to “Paid”.
Step 4: NBI Clearance Application Processing
1. Go to your chosen NBI Clearance Center on your appointment date and time. Don’t forget to bring your two (2) valid IDs and the reference number or the application form.
2. Proceed to the Biometrics and have your photo, fingerprint, and the digital signature was taken.
3. The NBI Clearance personnel will show you your information. Make sure that every data encoded are correct.
4. Go to the printing area and wait for your printed NBI Clearance.
Note: If you have a namesake with a criminal record, you will be asked to come back on a certain date. They do it to clear any anomaly in your application.
If you can’t return to the NBI Clearance Center to claim your document, you can have your clearance delivered to you. Here are some ways for you to do:
1. Visit the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
2. Find the eServices section.
3. Tick the “With Hit? NBI Delivery Service” box.
4. Encode your reference number and birthdate.
5. Then tick the “Submit” button.
Tips and Warnings:
- Secure your online appointment first before going to the NBI Clearance Center. You will not be accommodated if you failed to do so.
- Personally go to the NBI Clearance Center, unless you are applying from abroad.
- NBI is strict about your two (2) valid IDs, so NEVER forget to bring them.
- Your NBI Clearance is only used as a supporting document for your Philippine Passport Application, and not as a valid ID.
- The NBI Clearance is now multipurpose. The Clearances for employment and travel abroad no longer exist.
- Filipinos or Foreigners can apply for the NBI Clearance regardless of their age. There is no age requirement for the application.
- Fresh graduates who are also first-time job applicants can apply for their NBI Clearance for free.
- Jaywalkers will get a “HIT” on their NBI Clearance if they did not settle their penalties.
Note: “HIT” is a criminal record under your name
NBI Renewal Online Application
If you have an expired NBI Clearance, you can now renew them by doing either of the two ways; the Quick Renewal service and the Regular Renewal Process.
What are the Requirements for NBI Clearance Renewal?
- Copy of your expired or previous NBI Clearance. You will need your NBI ID number to proceed with your transaction.
- One (1) valid government-issued ID. Still, try to bring two (2) valid IDs in case the NBI Clearance personnel asks for additional verification.
Two Options for NBI Clearance Renewal
A. NBI Clearance Quick Renewal
- Visit the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
- Go and click the “NBI Clearance Quick Renewal”
- Input your NBI ID number. You can find it in your previous NBI Clearance.
- Tick the “Verify” button to go to the next step.
- You will see the “Quick Renewal Delivery Form”. Put the required information and make sure that your address is complete and correct to avoid delays in the delivery.
- Tick “Next” to choose your payment method.
- Here are Payment Methods that you can choose from; Bank Over Counter, Online Bank, Mobile Payment, Bayad Center, MultiPay and ECPay.
- Take a screenshot of your reference number.
Note: Your reference number will be asked when you are making your payment at your selected bank or outlet. You can follow the instructions if you choose to pay the fee online.
Wait for your NBI Clearance to be delivered to you for about five to ten working days from the time of your payment. Delivery time depends on your location.
Note: The NBI Renewal Fee is Php 330 plus the express delivery fee of Php 200. Add another Php 25 for e-payment service. You have to pay about Php 355 in total.
B. Regular NBI Clearance Renewal
This option requires you to process online, secure appointment date and time, then appear in-person to claim your NBI Clearance. Here are the steps you can take:
Step 1: Visit the NBI Clearance Online Service
- Sign in with your email address and password that you used the first time you registered.
- When you have logged-in, review your information and make sure that you have updated your application type to “RENEW”.
- Click the “Edit Information” button if you need to make changes with your information.
Step 2: Make your NBI Clearance Renewal Appointment
- Choose the “Apply for Clearance” button.
- Choose the valid ID that you will bring in your appointment date. You are also required to bring a copy of your previous NBI Clearance.
- Input the name of the valid ID, then tick “I Agree” to go to the next step.
- Select your chosen appointment venue, date and time. The blue box indicates that it is an available slot.
Step 3: Pay the NBI Clearance Renewal Fee
- After securing your appointment, you can now select your payment method. Here are some options for you to consider: Bank Over the Counter, Online Bank, Mobile Payment, MultiPay, ECPay, and 7-Eleven.
- A summary of your payment will appear on the screen.
Note: The NBI Clearance is Php130, plus the additional Php 25 for the e-payment service will be charged on you.
- Tick “Proceed to Payment”
- Take a screenshot of your reference number and pay your fee in your preferred bank or payment outlets.
- Go back to the NBI Clearance website to check if your transaction was successful or not.
- Tick the “Confirm Payment” if you have already made the payment. You can now print your application form.
Step 4: Have your Biometrics and Photo Taken
- Go to your chosen NBI Clearance Center on your appointed date and time. Bring your application form, a copy of your previous NBI Clearance, and at least two (2) valid IDs.
- Since you are done with your application form and payment, you can now get your biometrics to have your photo, fingerprint, and signature taken.
Step 5: Claiming your NBI Clearance
If you have no “hits”, you can have your printed NBI Clearance on that same day. But if you have “hits”, you would have to come back on a certain day to claim your NBI Clearance.
Tips and Warnings:
1. Even if your NBI Clearance is not expired yet, you can renew it. That is possible as long as you still have a copy of your NBI Clearance and if the expiry is about a week or a month before the expiration date.
2. You don’t have to provide a photo if you are renewing through the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal. They will get the photo from the NBI Database.
3. The online renewal system is only available if you got your NBI Clearance from 2014 to 2018.